Be barbecue safe this summer

The Penticton Fire Department recommends residents make sure summertime is a good time by being barbecue safe.

“We all look forward to barbecuing in the backyard with friends or family,” said Chief Wayne Williams. “Everyone should take the time to learn some important fire safety basics to protect themselves from preventable incidents that commonly occur during the summer.”

The PFD recommends residents follow a few dos and don'ts when it comes to firing up the barbecue:

Do:

  • Keep loose clothing away from a hot barbecue;
  • Keep children and pets at a safe distance;
  • Turn gas valve off first when finished, then turn off the burner controls, so no gas is left in the connecting hose; and,
  • Allow the barbecue to cool completely before closing the cover.

Do not:

  • Leave the barbecue unattended when in use;
  • Allow grease to build up on the burners or at the base of the barbecue, as this could cause a grease fire;
  • Throw water on a grease fire – this will only spread the flame; and,
  • Position your barbecue too close to wooden fences or walls. Make sure the area behind your barbecue is free of combustible material, since this is where hot gases escape. Ensure you follow the manufacturer's allowance for safe distances.

Grilling enthusiasts are also reminded that barbecues are approved for outdoor use only – they should never be used in a garage, tent or other enclosed spaces. They emit carbon monoxide, a poisonous gas that can lead to unconsciousness or even death. Propane cylinders may not be used or stored inside any structure.

For information, contact the Penticton Fire Department at 250-490-2311.