Safe holiday season
December 18, 2013
The best gift you can give to your family is safety. The Penticton Fire Department encourages everyone to have a safe holiday season by taking a moment to consider potential fire hazards like decorations and light sources.
“This is the season that is typically filled with happy memories. We want the good cheer to continue, and this is why we recommend all residents and businesses be extra careful during the holidays,” said Fire Chief Wayne Williams.
Some key areas to consider include:
- Christmas trees: One of every three home Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical failures. Although Christmas tree fires are not common, when they do occur, they are more likely to be serious. A heat source too close to the tree causes roughly one in every six of the fires.
- Decorations and lights: Nearly half of holiday decoration fires happen because decorations are placed too close to a heat source.
- Candles: December is the peak time of year for home candle fires. Two of every five home decoration fires are started by candles. Hand-held candles should not be passed from one person to another at any time. Roughly one-third of home candle fires started in the bedroom. More than half of all candle fires start when things that can burn are too close to the candle. Think about using flameless candles in your home. They look and smell like real candles.
After Christmas - get rid of the tree after Christmas or when it is dry. Dried-out trees are a fire danger and should not be left in the home or garage, or placed outside against the home.
Bring outdoor electrical lights inside after the holidays to prevent hazards and make them last longer.Assist the Penticton Fire Department Firefighters Union 1399 raise money for charity by recycling your tree for a donation. The Christmas Tree Pick-up for charity will run from Dec. 27 to Jan. 19, 2014. For more information or to schedule a tree pickup, call 250-490-2315. Go to Top