Mayor, Council sworn in for 2014-18
December 1, 2014
Seven elected officials have been sworn into office for the 2014-2018 term of Penticton Council.
Penticton Mayor Andrew Jakubeit completed the oath of office in a ceremony at the Penticton Trade and Convention Centre this evening, for the first four-year term of office. Hon. Judge Gregory Koturbash presided over the ceremony that saw Coun. Helena Konanz, Coun. Andre Martin, Coun. Max Picton, Coun. Tarik Sayeed and Coun. Judy Sentes all make the oath of office.
“This is an exciting time for the City of Penticton, as we build on past strategic priority success and continue working toward a vibrant, sustainable community focused on economic opportunity,” said Mayor Jakubeit. “Our new direction will be proactive, positive and collaborative. I believe we have a great Council of strong, passionate community leaders who are eager to help Penticton reach its potential. I look forward to the collective impact we will have on the community.”
Three specific committees will be formed to address topical issues in the community:
- Mayor's Select Task Force on Affordable Community
- Mayor's Select Task Force on Economic Development and Prosperity
- Mayor's Select Task Force on Tourism Development
“The City needs to work collaboratively to build community, and these three task forces will be responsible for planning and executing strategies to move Penticton forward,” said Mayor Jakubeit. “The focus will be on driving economic growth and vitality, establishing partnerships and leveraging opportunities in key areas.”
The incoming committee structure was also announced:
- Community Revitalization Select Committee – will address Downtown revitalization, additional Waterfront enhancement projects and other revitalization efforts in the community.
- Agriculture Advisory Committee
- Arts, Creative & Cultural Innovation Committee
- Community Sustainability Committee
- Development Services Advisory Committee
- Heritage and Knowledge Committee
- Penticton Creek Rehabilitation Committee
- SOEC Select Advisory Committee
- Transportation Advisory Committee
Liaison assignments will be announced Dec. 15. Advertising for community representation on these committees will begin this week.
Four members of Council were appointed to the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen Board of Directors:
- Mayor Andrew Jakubeit
- Coun. Helena Konanz
- Coun. Andre Martin
- Coun. Judy Sentes