Casino relocation proposal
November 30, 2015 - December 8, 2015
Gateway Casino has been operating in the City of Penticton since 2000. Gateway announced Nov. 23 it is prepared to make a long-term commitment to Penticton and has put forward a proposal to invest $25 million and relocate to the southeast corner of the South Okanagan Events Centre (SOEC).
The City’s vision for the SOEC complex has been to create a premier destination for events and entertainment. Having the casino operating onsite will help achieve the overarching goals for the SOEC and the City of Penticton. The proposal would also secure up to $1.6 million in annual gaming revenue that goes towards vital services for residents.
The public can provide feedback and input into the proposal by attending one of the City and Gateway’s open houses, or online.
For further information on the proposed relocation:
- Gateway project site: http://cascadescasinopenticton.info
- Background [PDF - 96 KB]
- Frequently asked questions [PDF - 51 KB]
- Concept of where footprint would be on SOEC complex [PDF - 460 KB]
- UPDATED - Independent parking study of SOEC complex [PDF - 3.4 MB]**
**Public feedback on this report indicated some figures required updating. After more research, including an in-person count of off-street parking stalls, the study has been updated. The updated figures were not material to the recommendations, which have not changed.
The City and Gateway will be holding a series of open houses in the coming weeks to share details of the project and collect input from the public.
- November 30 from 5-9 p.m. at the Penticton Seniors Drop-in Centre, 2965 South Main St.
- December 1 from 9–11a.m. and 6–8p.m. at the Sandman Hotel
- December 8 from 1 -3 p.m. and 5–7 p.m. at the Ramada.
Update: We had 83 people attend Monday night's session, and 50 from Dec. 1 morning session. Check out the updated FAQs, based on resident feedback at those sessions.
The public is welcome to provide input and feedback with this form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8NCC9LP
Have more questions? Contact 250-493-3323.Go to Top