ITU Multisport World Championships Festival starts in 10 days
August 8, 2017
Get involved! Get registered! Get ready! Get excited!
Penticton – Residents will have a few days to recharge from Peach Fest before the largest of Penticton’s “eventful” summer activities gets underway. The International Triathlon Union (ITU) Multisport World Championships Festival runs from August 18 to 27 and is expected to bring about 3,500 athletes and 4,000 supporters to the City for 10 days of world championship races and events.
“This is the first time the ITU has combined the world championships for their six events in one location and they chose Penticton as the venue,” says Mayor Andrew Jakubeit. “We can be very proud to have been selected to hold the Festival. It is a reflection of our rich tradition of hosting world-class triathlon events for over 35 years.”
Residents can find a summary of the information they need to enjoy and support the success of the Festival at Penticton.ca. Some of the highlights include:
1. Get Involved – There are nearly 1,800 volunteer positions needed to run the event. Being a volunteer is a great way to get a front row seat to the excitement. Sign up at penticton2017.com or email email@example.com. See the benefits of being a volunteer including an official shirt and an invitation to the volunteer celebration.
2. Get Registered – Anyone can participate in the Open Wave division. Register as an Open Wave athlete in the aquathlon, aquabike, cross triathlon, sprint duathlon, standard duathlon, and long distance triathlon.
3. Get Ready – With so many visitors to the city, the activity level and demands on services will be high. Residents should check temporary road closures over the course of the event, expect changes to transit routes, anticipate higher volumes at the airport and consider stocking up on groceries and other essentials before the Festival.
4. Get Excited – The Festival is not just for the athletes. Organizers have many events planned for the community as well. A street dance, kid’s triathlon, family fun run and two athlete parades are just some of the highlights in addition to watching the events themselves. A community version of the schedule is provided at Penticton.ca.
“I hope residents will plan on enjoying the Festival and making it part of their summer vacation,” says Mayor Jakubeit. The main source for information about the Festival is Penticton2017.com. The City is also planning to keep residents informed through daily updates on the radio and through City of Penticton social media.
What is the ITU Multisport World ChampionshipS Festival? The 2017 ITU (International Triathlon Union) Multisport World Championship Festival is a 10-day event with 6 World Championship races:
- Sprint Duathlon (Run/Bike/Run)
- Standard Duathlon (Run/Bike/Run)
- Aquathlon (Swim/Run)
- Cross Triathlon (Swim/ Mountain Bike/ Trail Run)
- Long Course Triathlon (Swim/ Bike/ Run)
- Aquabike (Swim/ Bike)
Each race will consist of various categories such as Elite, U23, Junior, ParaTriathlon, Age Group and Open Wave. Penticton 2017 will host National Triathlon Federations from up to 50 countries including Canada, the USA, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Japan, Spain and many more.
Community Engagement Specialist