Hot Topics Open House #2
Date: December 5, 2019 (3:00 PM - 7:00 PM)
Mull over three ‘Hot’ Topics in one evening at the multi-topic open houses planned in early December.
- Dec. 5 between 3 pm and 7 pm at the Penticton Seniors’ Drop-in Centre
Staff will be on hand to discuss work on the Lake-to-Lake Cycling Route, the Skaha Lake Park East Plan, and the 2020-2024 Business and Financial Plans.
An overview of the topics to be discussed is provided below. All information to be shared at the open houses and opportunities to provide feedback will also be available at shapeyourcitypenticton.ca.
In celebration of the holiday season, the City is also partnering with Penticton Secondary School to support the annual Toys for Tots to Teens event. Anyone interested in attending the open houses is invited to bring a new unwrapped toy, gift card or cash donation. The donations will be given to various charities around the South Okanagan to distribute to children and youth in need.
Open House Topics
Citizens are invited to enjoy a hot chocolate and holiday treats while they learn about the following:
Lake-to-lake Cycling Route
- The City kicked off involvement of the community in the identification of a lake-to-lake cycling route in September during the ‘Pedal Penticton’ event.
- A technical review of the possible streets has been completed and the City will share the findings and options for the route.
- Residents and business owners will have the opportunity to ask questions and provide feedback on the options at the open house as well as through shapeyourcitypenticton.ca.
- Feedback collected will be used to narrow the options to a preferred route. The community will be invited to discuss the preferred route before a recommendation is made to Council.
Skaha Lake Park East Plan
- One of the main priorities of the Parks and Recreation Master Plan is the creation of a Park Master Plan for Skaha Park.
- Recognizing that much of the park is functioning well and is in good condition, the plan will focus on involving the community in addressing the challenges and opportunities in the east part of the park.
- This includes the need for a long-term vision for the marina, aging facilities like the spray park and boat house, a desire to improve walking connections between areas of the park, and beach erosion concerns.
- The process will involve stakeholders and the community in the development of a vision and plan and in identifying priorities for the east part of the park as well as gather their views on commercial uses like the marina.
- Participants will also be invited to consider ideas from a recent citizen-led park design process as well as share their own ideas.
- Feedback collected at these events and through shapeyourcitypenticton.ca will be used to create a concept that will be reviewed with the community at future engagement opportunities before it is shared with the Parks and Recreation Advisory Committee for a recommendation and Council for a decision.
2020-2024 Business and Financial Plans
- Citizens will be invited to review the City’s 2020 Corporate business plan and 2020-2024 Financial plan.
- The documents provide citizens with visibility into the operations of the City including challenges and opportunities, proposed initiatives and budget requests.
- Feedback gathered at the open houses and online will be shared with Council during the Budget Talks meetings later in December as they consider their support for the proposed plans and upcoming budget.