Home Improvements and Renos

Looking for information about home renovations? Building a deck or fence, or wanting to finish your basement? Find out what permits you need and how to apply. 

You’ll need a Building Permit if you are building:

Pre-Application Meetings
Planning a building project?  The City offers free pre-application meetings.  During these meetings, you'll share your concept plans with the City's Building and Planning department for some preliminary feedback. This feedback can be used to get a better idea of the process you'll be going through as you build your project. It will also provide you with a better understanding of the design considerations and ensure that your permit application contains everything our Planning and Building Officials look for. Keep in mind the more information you can provide the City at these meetings, the better feedback we'll be able to give you to help move forward with your application.

Call 250-490-2501 or development@penticton.ca to book your pre-application meeting.  Please allow 2 work days' notice to schedule.

Speak with Your Neighbour's
The City recommends introducing yourself to any neighbouring residents and providing contact information for the general contractor. This simple step can alleviate a lot of the anxiety that neighbours may feel when they see construction happening.

Here are some things to keep in mind when making an application:

  • Incomplete application packages will not be processed and instead will be returned to the applicant
  • New residences (such as carriage house) may require proof of registration from Licencing and Consumer Services (formerly Homeowner Protection Office HPO)
  • Building Permit Fee and Fine Schedule - Building Fees Schedule [PDF - 153 KB]
  • It could take two to five weeks for an application to be reviewed and processed, depending on the volume of applications
  • You can view your permit application status online using your MyCity account

Please contact the Building Department if you have any questions, call 250-490-2571 or buildinginfo@penticton.ca