Interested in helping preserve artifacts, share your passion for history, or are you just curious about museum work in general? The Penticton Museum offers many opportunities to get involved through volunteering in a wide range of capacities. Just take a look!
The Penticton Museum & Archives relies heavily on its excellent network of dedicated volunteers, and we are always happy to have more help. Some volunteer opportunities at the museum include:
- Front Desk Reception
- Welcome visitors to the museum and provide information on special events, exhibits, and other museum resources.
- Direct visitor enquiries to staff members
- Educational Program Interpreter
- Work as a part of a team with the education coordinator and other museum interpreters to deliver interactive programs on various themes for visiting school and tour groups
- Archival Assistant
- Assist with the documentation and preservation of photographs and documents. Help locate information for researchers
- Hands-on Heritage Lab Volunteer
- Assist and guide child and adult visitors as they explore the Hands-on Heritage Lab
The time commitment for volunteers is usually one 3 or 4 hour shift per week, although this is open to personal preference. Volunteers are required to complete the vounteer application, take part in an interview, and complete a RCMP Criminal Record Check. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please contact us for more information and an application form.
Become a Friend
Another great way to get involved is to join the Friends of the Penticton Museum Society, a group of volunteers who support the museum through fundraising and by working to enhance its profile in the community. Recently, the Friends played an important role in raising funds for the renovation of the Penticton Archives Centre, and also provided for the purchase of materials and equipment for the new Hands-on Heritage Lab. For more information about the Friends of the Museum and their current fundraising activities, please see their information brochure.
The Friends of the Penticton Museum Society offers many social activities for its members, including group field trips to other museums/archives and regular social events such as potlucks and picnics. Members also receive museum gift shop discounts and regular updates on museum projects and events through the Friends' official newsletter, Musings.
Membership costs only $15/year and is open to the public. If you are interested in joining, please fill out an application form and return it to the Penticton Museum.