Public welcome to City budget process
December 3, 2014
Annual number crunching is underway at the City of Penticton, and residents, businesses and stakeholders are invited to take part in the 2015 Budget planning.
“The City's budget is a massive undertaking, but a great way for the new Council to learn about how the municipality serves residents, embraces innovation and sustains our vibrant community,” said Mayor Andrew Jakubeit. “Citizens are welcome to be part of the process, as their input helps Council with the important decisions to come.”
Proposed Budget Schedule
- Day 1: Monday, Dec. 8 at 8:30 a.m., Capital budget
- Day 2 Wednesday, Dec. 10 at 8:30 a.m., Operating budget
- Day 3: Tuesday, Dec. 16 at 8:30 a.m., Operating budget
- Day 4: Wednesday, Dec. 17 at 9 a.m., Grants and Deliberations
Annual budget deliberations for the municipality take multiple days to go through, and cover a wide array of spending decisions in both operating and capital budgets. Public input and feedback during the presentations are important, and time will be set aside each day to allow citizens and stakeholders to ask questions, provide comments and give suggestions related to that day's topics. Questions will be answered as quickly as possible.
Those whose schedules don't permit daytime meetings can also take part. All budget meetings will be streamed live on the City of Penticton's website: www.penticton.ca/live-video. City staff will also be monitoring Twitter on the @cityofpenticton account. Citizens can use the hashtag #penbudget15 to give the City comments, suggestions and questions. Responses will be provided directly back to the original poster as soon as they are available.
2015 Budget at a glance
- Deficit: Has been reduced to $315,000 – a reduction of 53% when compared to the 2014 budget.
- Cost pressures: The city is facing $1.3 million in additional cost pressures in 2015 driven by increases or investments.
- Through workshops and staff meetings, the net deficit has been reduced by $833,000
All meetings are scheduled to
take place in Council Chambers in City Hall. Budget presentations are available
online as well.