Trick or Treat Safety on the Road to Halloween!

Halloween is fast approaching.  It won’t be long before little goblins are knocking at your door trick or treating. 

The Penticton Fire Department would like to remind everyone that nearly half of the decoration fires in homes occur because the decorations are too close to a heat source.  Forty-one per cent of these incidents were started by candles, with one-fifth of them starting in the living room, family room, or den.

“Although this is a fun and festive time of year” says Penticton Fire Chief, Larry Watkinson, “there may be hidden fire hazards on Halloween.  Extra caution will ensure everyone’s safety.”

Make Halloween safe with a few easy safety tips:

  • Use a battery-operated candle or glow-stick in jack-o-lanterns.
  • When choosing costumes, the brighter the better.  Avoid long trailing fabric.  If your child is wearing a mask, make sure the eye holes are large enough so he or she can see out.
  • Teach children to stay away from open flames, including jack-o-lanterns with candles in them.
  • Tell your children - if clothes catch on fire: STOP immediately, DROP to the ground and cover your face with your hands, ROLL over and over to extinguish the flames.
  • Dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper catch fire easily.  Keep all decorations away from open flames and other heat sources like lightbulbs and heaters.
  • For social gatherings, remember to avoid over-crowding, keep exits clear of decorations so nothing blocks escape routes, make sure all smoke alarms in the home are working, and in the event of an emergency, call 9-1-1.

The Penticton Fire Department reminds drivers to be especially careful on the road during Halloween.  Avoid pedestrian-vehicle collisions by slowing down and eliminating distractions.




Mike Richards Captain, FPO
Fire Prevention Division
Penticton Fire Department

Philip Cooper
Communication Manager
City of Penticton