December 3, 2019 Council Highlights
December 4, 2019
Proclamation “Giving Tuesday” December 3, 2019
Council proclaimed December 3, 2019 as “Giving Tuesday” in the City of Penticton.
Indoor Tennis Facility
Dr. Ali Moshaver provided Council with a presentation on an indoor tennis facility in Penticton. Council referred staff to evaluate and report back on options for an indoor tennis facility in the City of Penticton.
The Rise on Nanaimo and the Need for Affordable Housing
Tanya Behardien and Ian Gerbrandt, One Sky, provided Council with a presentation on the recently completed Rise on Nanaimo and the need for more affordable housing projects in Penticton.
South Okanagan and Similkameen Arts Workshop – Final Report
Leighton McCarthy, Glenn Sinclair and Cal Meiklejohn, South Okanagan Performing Arts Centre Society II Board of Directors provided Council with a presentation on the final report of the workshop held in October.
2020-2024 Five-Year Financial Plan – Budget Primer
Jim Bauer, Chief Financial Officer provided Council with the highlights of the 2020 Corporate Business Plan and the 2020-2024 Financial Plan.
Release of Items from Closed Meeting
Council made the following appointments:
- Penticton Library Board
- Council Liaise Reappointment: Councillor Kimberley
- Two-Year Reappointment: Connie Redknap, Ernie Ingles and Wesley Nickel
- Two-Year Term: Lyndsay de Jonge
- One-Year Term: Jeannette LeBlanc
- Penticton and Ellis Creek Restoration Select Committee: Camille Rivard-Sirois, Okanagan Nation Alliance representative and Karilyn Alex, Okanagan Nation Alliance alternate representative
1400 Riddle Road (3 Blind Mice Area) – Park Designation, Management Plan, Wild Fire Interface and Existing Licenses to Use
Council approved the following recommendations
- to proceed with the process of rezoning the City property located at 1400 Riddle Road from Forestry Grazing (FG) to an appropriate park zone to coincide with the current and future Official Community Plan; and
- that the Wild Fire Interface concerns continue to be investigated and addressed as outlined in the City of Penticton Community Wildfire Protection Plan as required, subject to sufficient funding being available; and
- to direct staff to amend the existing Penticton Area Cycling Association License to Use and the Penticton Disc Golf Club License to Use to include additional language that outlines requirements to ensure orderly maintenance and development of the related infrastructure, considers the sensitive environmental values that may exist on the property, implements recognized design standards, outlines public consultation requirements, and approval processes as desired by the City of Penticton.
Road Closure Permits Policy
Council approved the “Road Closure Permits Policy”, a policy that provides guidance to staff who have the delegated authority to issue a road closure permit to temporarily restrict or prohibit traffic.
Third Quarter Financial Update
Council received the report titled “Third Quarter Financial Update”, dated December 3, 2019, providing a financial summary.
Third Quarter Corporate Business Plan Update
Council received the report titled “Third Quarter Corporate Business Plan Update”, dated December 3, 2019, outlining completed and ongoing priorities and key issues.
Cannabis Revenue Sharing with Local Governments
Council resolved that the City of Penticton send a letter to the Minister of Finance, supporting the short and long term strategy for cannabis excise tax revenue sharing proposed by UBCM and enter into a provincial-local government revenue sharing agreement.
These highlights are intended to provide a brief summary of recent Council proceedings. The summary is not inclusive of all agenda items. For a detailed account of the full agenda, including staff reports, other supporting documents and official meeting minutes, please consult the City’s website (www.penticton.ca/council) or call the City’s Corporate Administration Department at 250-490-2400.Go to Top