Global tech leaders and live simulations set to take the stage at FutureBiz Penticton
November 7, 2019
Global technology leader the Mozilla Foundation will take the stage at FutureBiz Penticton business forum on Dec. 4, kicking off a high-calibre event featuring expert speakers, workshops and a Canadian Red Cross simulation finale.
This destination event is open to all business leaders, innovators, thinkers and entrepreneurs who seek insights for a changing world. Brought to you by the City of Penticton’s Economic Development department, this year’s program will help businesses plan for the unexpected. It will include hands-on sessions, live demonstrations, emergency preparedness planning and an exhibition hall marketplace.
FutureBiz speakers, announced today, include:
- Keynote speaker Abigail Cabunoc Mayes of the Mozilla Foundation, the non-profit behind the Firefox browser, will speak about the health of the internet and how open practices are used in business today.
- Fire Chief Larry Watkinson and Deputy Fire Chief Chris Forster of the Penticton Fire Department will discuss pre- and post-emergency planning and give a live demonstration.
- Allison Markin, owner of communications consultancy All She Wrote, will help you construct a plan to communicate effectively in a crisis, therefore protecting brand reputation.
- Garland Sharratt, an information security architect and consultant, will speak about how you can secure and protect your business and its information from cybersecurity and privacy threats.
- Greg Perkins of Liahona Security will provide tips involving crime prevention and security for your property and assets.
- Nicole Clark of Community Futures Okanagan Similkameen will present a Business Continuation Planning workshop.
- Capping off the day, test your newfound skills to react appropriate during a disaster simulation presented by Carla Taylor of the Canadian Red Cross.
“Businesses that plan ahead and build resilience will have a greater ability to weather any storm,” said Andrew Kemp, Economic Development Specialist at the City of Penticton. “FutureBiz is a proactive effort to bring the business community together for some pre-planning and thoughtful assessment of risk, ensuring they remain competitive – no matter what comes their way.”
“In our digital society, the internet has unlocked technologies and insights that power our businesses,” said Abigail Cabunoc Mayes, the Working Open Practice Lead at the Mozilla Foundation. “At the same time, we’ve seen mass data breaches, social media weaponized, and the manipulation of online news and ads. In this talk, we’ll look at findings from Mozilla’s open source Internet Health Report and look at how applying open source principles can dramatically increase a business’s reach and impact.”
FutureBiz Penticton 2019 sponsors include BC Business magazine, Accelerate Okanagan, Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) and Community Futures Okanagan Similkameen. The City of Penticton is also excited to partner with the Canadian Red Cross to offer the disaster simulation exercise.
Brea Lake, CEO of Accelerate Okanagan, says: "We have supported over 220 entrepreneurs throughout the Okanagan and if there is one thing we’ve learned, it’s that the entrepreneurial journey is far from predictable. We find success lies in strong mentorship, community support, and a strategy that considers the worst-case scenario. We're excited to support this event to help address challenges that entrepreneurs may face during their business journey."
Reserve your spot
FutureBiz will take place Wednesday, Dec. 4 from 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. at Penticton Trade & Convention Centre. Exhibitor opportunities are also available. Reserve your spot at www.futurebizpenticton.com.
About FutureBiz Penticton
FutureBiz Penticton is the signature annual event of the City of Penticton’s Economic Development De-partment. This annual economic forum delivers relevant data and information to empower our businesses to be locally and globally competitive. It’s an opportunity for the local business community to hear from expert speakers and consider emerging trends to inform and inspire future business plans, all while strengthening local connections.
Economic Development Specialist
City of Penticton
City of Penticton
Go to Top