Stay Safe and Healthy, be Carbon Monoxide Aware!
October 25, 2019
The Penticton Fire Department is reminding residents to prevent carbon monoxide (CO) build up in their homes by properly maintaining all fuel-burning appliances and installing CO alarms. Often called the invisible killer, carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely.
“Carbon monoxide deaths are entirely preventable,” reports Captain Mike Richards. “We strongly recommend installing a working CO alarm on every storey of your home and next to each sleeping area.”
Prevent CO in your home
- Have fuel-burning heating equipment and chimneys inspected by a professional every year before cold weather sets in.
- When using a fireplace, open the flue for adequate ventilation.
- Never use your oven to heat your home.
- Never use barbeques inside garages, even if the garage doors are open. Only use them outside, away from all doors, windows, vents and other building openings.
Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea, dizziness, as well as confusion, drowsiness, loss of consciousness and death. If your CO alarm sounds and you or other occupants are suffering from symptoms of CO poisoning, get everyone out of the home immediately and move to fresh air. Do not try to locate the source of carbon monoxide. Once outside, call 9-1-1 or your local emergency number.
Captain Richards reminds the community to, “know the sound of your CO alarm. It sounds different than your smoke alarm. Test BOTH alarms monthly. “
For further information on British Columbia’s first ever Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week running from November 1 through 7, or other fire and life safety issues, contact Captain Richards at 250-490-2300 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mike Richards, Captain Philip Cooper
Fire Prevention Officer Communication Manager
City of Penticton City of Penticton