A beekeeping permit is required to keep bees on your property in Penticton. This page provides information about the requirements and an application form to get started. Please note a valid beekeeping permit must be acquired before any bees arrive on your property.
Where Beekeeping is Allowed
Bees may only be kept on properties with a single detached dwelling. The bylaw specifies that every person keeping bees, and the owner of a parcel in which bees are kept, must ensure that there are no more than:
- Two beehives on a parcel of less than 1,000 square metres (0.25 acres)
- Four beehives on a parcel that is between 1,000 square metres (0.25 acres) and 2,000 square metres (0.5 acres)
- Six beehives on a parcel that is over 2,000 square metres (0.5 acres)
Any person who engages in urban beekeeping must:
- Adhere to all provincial beekeeping regulations and possess a valid beekeeping permit, which must be procured prior to any bees arriving on the property.
- You must be a resident of the property where the bees are kept.
How to Apply for a Permit
- Submit a complete beekeeping permit application form to the Animal Shelter Manager.
- Provide written consent from the property owner, if applicable.
- Pay the application fee as found in the Fees and Charges Bylaw.