Long-Term Rentals

If you plan to rent out your residential property, you’ll need a business licence. A long-term rental is a property that will be rented out for 30 days or more at a time. This may include renting out your secondary suite or carriage house, a motel or multifamily rental housing.

If you’re renting the home for less than 30 days at a time, such as vacation rentals, visit our Short-Term Rentals page. 

Apply for Your Business Licence

To get started, you will need the following:

  • Know the number of bedrooms, units or campsites.
  • Know the maximum number of people sleeping in the rental.
  • The number of employees within your business (including full-time, part-time and seasonal).
  • Your business licence type (Accommodation – Commercial & Residential).
  • Your business address, contact information and business start date.
  • Register with BC Registry Services.
  • Have a credit card ready to pay the application fee, which is required to complete the application: Minimum $85 fee up to $255 for the Short-Term Rental High Occupancy licence (a third part credit card processing fee will also apply).

Related Pages

Have Questions?