Operating a Short-Term Rental

A Short-Term Rental (STR), or vacation rental, is a licenced accommodation up to a maximum one-month stay. This may include a room, legal suite, carriage house or the entire home.

The City introduced regulations in 2010 to ensure STRs operate in a way to minimize disruption to neighbours and the surrounding community. City bylaws require STRs have a business licence, adhere to zoning requirements, and meet specific health and safety standards.

If you plan to build or renovate your carriage house or secondary suite, visit the related building permits page. 

Apply for a Business Licence

A business licence is required to operate a long-term rental. This is to ensure safety standards are met and to help prevent nuisances. The regulations provide guidelines to encourage property owners to host responsibly. Find out more on our Business Licence Types page.

Information and Resources

Frequently Asked Questions