Penticton residents should prepare for emergencies such as wildfires, landslides and flooding, especially if you live on the outskirts of the city or near waterways.
There are many steps we can take to plan ahead, starting with having a household plan, basic emergency kit and considering all the people and animals on your property.
Be prepared to be self-sufficient for at least 72 hours.
Prepare for an Emergency
Get the Latest Updates
In the case of an active emergency, try the following resources for updates.
- Subscribe for email updates from the City of Penticton
- Twitter: @cityofpenticton or @pentictonfire
- Download the City of Penticton app for updates straight to your cellphone (available from Google Play or the App Store)
- Follow the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen on Twitter and Facebook
- Follow the BC Wildfire Service on Twitter
- Follow the City of Penticton on Facebook: City of Penticton – Municipality
- Listen to the radio for updates
For information about the status of the wildfire, please look to the BC Wildfire Service.
During an Emergency
- Follow your emergency plan.
- Take your emergency kit (grab-and-go bag).
- Make sure you are safe before helping others.
- Stay informed of the situation. Listen to the radio or television for information from authorities. You may be advised to stay where you are. Follow their instructions.
- Stay put until all is safe or until you are ordered to evacuate.
Emergency Support for Evacuees
If you have been forced from your home by fire, floods, earthquakes or other emergencies, you may receive Emergency Support Services (ESS) for up to 72 hours, including temporary lodging, food and clothing among other specialized services.
To receive these services you must register with the Provincial ESS. Registering online through their Evacuee Registration Assistance program page is the most efficient way to register.
For smaller events, ESS services may be provided on site. For larger events, ESS will often have a reception centre established.
Scroll through the links below for further details.