FireSmart Canada Neighbourhood Recognition Program
Is your neighbourhood FireSmart? The list of communities on board in Penticton is growing. These are B.C. communities that have been recognized by FireSmart Canada for taking the steps toward building a wildfire resilient community. Check out the FireSmart Canada Neighbourhood Recognition Program Page on FireSmart BC's website to view the digital map of locations that are FireSmart.
FireSmart Canada developed the FireSmart Canada Neighbourhood Recognition Program to officially recognize neighbourhoods that have taken critical steps to reduce their vulnerabilities to wildfire. FireSmart is most effective when neighbourhoods work together to increase their wildfire resiliency.
To receive FireSmart Neighbourhood Recognition the following criteria must be met:
- Have an assessment completed by a Local FireSmart Representative (LFR),
- Create a plan that identifies locally agreed upon solutions that the neighbourhood can implement,
- Create a committee, which maintains the plan and tracks the progress,
- Host a FireSmart event each year that is dedicated to a local FireSmart project,
- Invest a minimum of $2 per capita annually in local FireSmart Neighbourhood efforts, and
- Submit an annual report to FireSmart Canada that documents continuing compliance with the program.
FireSmart Home Partners Program
The Home Partners Program is a voluntary property assessment program that helps residents identify specific actions they can take on their property to reduce wildfire risks. The home assessment is conducted by a wildfire Mitigation Specialist at no cost to the homeowner. A detailed report is provided with mitigation actions to reduce wildfire risk to the homeowner's property. FireSmart Canada does not share the assessment or any details with the insurance industry.
How would you like a Wildfire Mitigation Specialist to come to your home and provide a free assessment of your property?