Here you’ll find everything you need to know about your garbage, recycling and yard waste collections.
About Your Collection Service
Garbage, recycling and yard waste is collected from residential properties that are eligible for curbside collection. For multifamily dwellings such as apartment buildings, we provide recycle collection only.
Garbage carts are picked up weekly, and recycling and yard waste cards are biweekly. Access your personal collection schedule.
To ensure that the contents of your cart are safely and efficiently collected, please keep in mind the following:
Park: Park your carts at their designated collection point no later than 7:00 am on your regular day of collection.
Place: Place your carts so the arrows on the top of the lid are pointed towards the centre of the road or laneway. The wheels on the cart will be facing your home. The lid must be securely closed or collection will not occur.
Space: Park and Place your carts so that there is a minimum of 1m/3ft of space between the carts, and that obstacles such as trees and vehicles are a minimum of 1m/3ft away from your carts.
In order to safely and efficiently collect your garbage, recycling, and yard waste, we ask you to keep in mind the following:
- Ensure the lid of your cart is firmly closed. Carts that are overfilled or with open lids will not be collected. This is important as carts with open lids have a high probability of breaking due to the mechanical arms on the automated garbage truck.
- Leave a minimum of 1m/3ft of clear space around your carts. The mechanized arm that grasps your cart during the collection process needs the 1m/3ft of space in order to safely grab and dump your cart. Carts that are not spaced correctly or placed too close to vehicles or obstacles cannot be collected.
- Place carts directly on the street and off of sidewalks. Ensure carts are facing forwards by having the arrows on the lid pointing towards the centre of the street/laneway, and have the wheels touching the curb. Carts that are placed on sidewalks cannot be collected because this creates a safety hazard for pedestrians.
With bear, deer and other wildlife living in and around the City of Penticton, it’s important to do our best to minimize attractants. Please consider the following steps when preparing your bins for collection:
- Place your garbage at the curb no earlier than 5 a.m. on collection day and remove from curbside soon after collection.
- Ensure your garbage cart lid is closed and the cart is stored in a clean, secure location.
- Keep your carts clean and free of excess, smelly garbage. Consider freezing odorous garbage prior to placing at the curb on collection day.
- Rinse and clean any recyclables.
- Consider opting for a wildlife-resistant cart if you live in an area with high wildlife traffic. Contact Public Works for further details.
Garbage collection is a contracted service through Waste Connections of Canada. Please call them directly at 250-490-3888.