Property Taxes

Municipal property taxes help fund:

2018 PROPERTY TAX DUE DATES

Property Taxes

July 31, 2018

Home Owner Grant

July 31, 2018

  • Many of our essential services like police, fire fighting, and emergency rescue
  • Recreation and community centers, libraries, parks, and much more
  • Services and support programs to build stronger communities

Tip Did you know that the City collects taxes on behalf of other levels of government? Only 61% of your taxes goes to the City with the remaining 39% going to the school, regional, and hospital districts, as well as BC Assessment and the Municipal Finance Authority.

My Tax Notice

GET YOUR PROPERTY TAX ACCOUNT BALANCE AND NOTICE

Property Tax Notices are issued mid-June of each year, with a due date of the last business day in July.

If you did not receive your property tax notice, taxes are still due by their due date.

See our many online services! 

MyCity      MyHOG      MyPayments

WHY YOU MAY NOT HAVE RECEIVED A TAX NOTICE:

You may not get a tax notice when you:

  • Buy a recently subdivided or stratified property. The property tax may have been billed to the “parent” property of a subdivision. Confirm with your lawyer or notary that your portion of taxes were adjusted as part of the sale.
  • Buy an existing property, and we haven't been notified that you’re the new owner yet. Check the documents you received for the sale.

DID YOU RECEIVE A TAX NOTICE FOR A PROPERTY YOU DON’T OWN ANYMORE?

If you’ve received a property tax notice for a property you no longer own you are not responsible for paying the property tax.

Please either:

  • Send the property tax notice to the new owner of the property
  • Return the property tax notice by mail to: Revenue & Collections Property Taxes, City of Penticton, 171 Main Street, Penticton, BC V2A 5R3

HOW ARE PROPERTY TAXES CALCULATED?

 

UNDERSTANDING PROPERTY TAXES IN DEPTH

Property Tax Rates

Learn how property tax rates are set and what influences the tax rate on your property. Find the current property tax rates.

Annual Tax Sale

Properties with three years of unpaid taxes are eligible for auction at the annual property tax sale held the last Monday of September. 

Tax Estimator

Use the tax estimator using an assessed value of your choosing to estimate taxes for a residential property.

Permissive Property Tax Exemptions

Societies, Not-for-Profit organizations, and Places of Worship may be eligible for a property tax exemption if adopted through a Council bylaw.

Revitalization Property Tax Exemptions

Certain improvement projects in certain areas of the city may be eligible for property tax exemption.