Property Taxes

  • Each year the Municipality, BC Assessment, Regional Library, Regional District, School District, and Regional Hospital require revenue for the services they provide to the residents of Penticton.

2017 Property Tax Notices were mailed June 14.

**If you have not registered to have your Property Tax Notice emailed to you, we will still mail you your Property Tax Notice.**

Please note sewer charges are no longer found on your Property Tax Notice.  This billing has been has been updated in 2017 to instead be a component of the property’s water utility billing. For more information and contact information on sewer billing please visit the Electric and Water Accounts information:  

BC Assessment has mailed out 2017 Assessment Notices. Please ensure you review your notice and if you have any questions regarding your assessment to inquire through one of the options provided on the assessment notice. BC Assessment has also provided a brief video on how your assessment impacts your Property Taxes. Please click here to view.

Each public agency with taxing authority sets a budget for the amount of tax revenue it requires. Tax rates vary among property classifications and are calculated by dividing the budget needs of the agency by its assessment base. The appropriate tax rate is then applied to individual property assessments, and the tax levy is calculated.

How to Register for MyCity

  • Access MyCity
  • Click Register Now (in blue writing)
  • Once you receive the registration email, click on the link to activate your account and log in to MyCity.
    Please note: If you do not receive the email please check your junk mail before contacting us

top of page


To Register and View your Tax Account in MyCity

  • Click on Register Accounts (on menu on left hand side)
  • Select Account Type ‘Taxes'
  • Use the Folio and Access Code as found on your tax notice
  • Click Register – should display a message that account was successfully added
  • Click Accounts (on menu on left hand side)
  • Click on Account number (in blue writing)

top of page

To Sign up for Taxes E-Billing

  • If not already in Tax Viewing Screen Click on Account number (in blue writing)
  • Click on eBills
  • Select Notification method
  • Click Change

top of page

Payment Options

  • Payments at City Hall can be in the form of cash, money order, cheque, bank draft and interac.
  • Post dated cheques are accepted
  • City Hall does not accept credit cards
  • Other methods of payment accepted are:
  • Mail.  Payments must be received by us by the due date to avoid penalties.  Postmarks are not accepted as payment made on time.
  • Internet banking and telebanking.  You must allow 3-5 Business Days for payment to be received on time to avoid penalties.
    • Your Folio number is your account number
    • To be set up through your bank

Bank of Montreal






RBC Royal Bank


Scotia Bank


TD Canada Trust


Valley First Credit Union

250-490-2700 or



top of page

How Taxes are Calculated

Your Property taxes are based on this formula:

    • Assessed Property Value X Property Tax Rate = Property Tax Bill

top of page

Assessed Property Value

The value of property for tax purposes is determined by BC Assessment Authority which is established under provincial legislation and is independent of the municipality.

Your assessment notice is mailed out annually on December 31. You can not appeal your taxes, but you can appeal your assessment. Please contact the BC Assessment Office at  1-866-825-8322 to inquire about the appeal process or for more information 


top of page

Tax Estimator

If you have an assessment on the property, you can use our Property Tax Estimator to get an estimate of the Property Tax amount.

top of page

Property Tax Due Date - Last working day in July

All property tax notices are mailed annually mid-June and due the last working day in July of each year. Property owners who have not received their tax notice by the end of June should contact the Tax Department at 250-490-2485. New property owners are responsible for payment of their annual property taxes by the due date to avoid penalty, whether or not they receive a Property Tax Notice.

top of page

Change of Mailing Address Notification

  • Click here to notify us of a change of mailing address
  • You can also notify BC Assessment directly of a change in your mailing address.  Please call BC Assessement at 1-877-577-5872.

top of page


  • A 10% late payment penalty for taxes outstanding is applied the day following the tax due date.  If you can't pay your taxes by the due date still apply for the Home Owner Grant by the due date deadline.
  • Actual penalty dates are clearly printed on the Property Tax Notice. Taxes that remain outstanding after these dates (including any unclaimed Provincial Home Owner Grant amount) are subject to penalty.

top of page


Here are some Property Tax forms that you can print off to bring in, drop off in our drop box located just north of our front door, mail in, fax or scan and email:


top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Do Taxes Cover from July to July?

  • No. Taxes cover the calendar year of January 1st to December 31st of the current year, but are due the last working day in July.

Can I appeal my taxes?

  • No. You can only appeal the assessment of your property. The BC Assessment office mails your assessment notice December 31st and you have 30 days in which to appeal your assessment at their office.

I did not receive a tax notice, do I still owe taxes?

  • Yes. If you own property, you are responsible for the taxes, whether or not you receive a tax notice. You should notify the Tax Department if you own or have purchased property and have not received a tax notice. Alternatively you can use the online service "MyCity" to view your property tax notice. Please notify us if you have changed your mailing address.

I have just purchased this property, am I responsible for the taxes?

  • When properties change hands, arrangements for payment of taxes should be worked out by the parties involved (usually involves a lawyer). It should be recognized that taxes are levied against the property, not the owner, and therefore remain with the property in spite of any change of ownership.

When are Property Taxes due?

  • In the City of Penticton, property taxes are due the last working day in July each year. Unpaid current balances as of that date are charged a 10% late penalty fee.

Can I prepay my Property Taxes?

  • Yes. You can make a payment to your Property Taxes at any time of the year.

I am on the Pre-Payment Plan. Do I still have to claim my Home Owners Grant?

If I live in a home for part of the year, can I claim part of the Home Owners Grant?

  • No. Home Owners Grants cannot be apportioned. An applicant must qualify for either all or none of the grant.

I turn 65 this calendar year. Can I claim the additional Home Owners Grant?

  • If you are turning 65 at any point of the calendar year, January 1st to December 31st, you are eligible to claim the additional grant in the current year.

Can I claim my Home Owners Grant if I am not paying my Property Taxes?

  • Yes. The Home Owners Grant must be received by the Tax Department no later than the tax due date. Otherwise, it is considered to be outstanding taxes and is subject to a 10% penalty.
  • You can also claim your Home Owner Grant (E-HOG) online.

Are all people with disabilities entitled to claim the Additional Grant?

  • No. Persons receiving assistance under the BC Employment and Assistance for Persons with Disabilities Act are eligible. Also, persons with a permanent disability who have the required Form B - Certificate of Physician and Property Owner completed by their doctor are eligible if they also meet the requirements under the Home Owners Grant Regulation with regard to costs incurred for physical assistance and/or structural modifications to the home.
  • The Home Owners Grant Regulation required that you are paying more than $150 per month for physical assistance or you have incurred more than $2000 in costs for structural modifications to your home to accommodate your disability. If you purchased a home with structural modifications made by a previous owner if the modifications have a value of more than $2000 and they meet your particular physical requirements.
  • Effective for the 2008 tax year, if the design specifications for your newly constructed principal residence are modified to accommodate your (or your spouse's or relative's) disability, you may qualify for the additional grant. The changes to the structural features of the home must have a value that exceeds $2000.
  • Please visit Home Owners Grant FAQ's page for detailed information.

Why do I have to apply for my Home Owners Grant every year?

  • A property may be owner-occupied one year and rented out the next. Therefore an owner must certify each year that he/she still qualifies for the Home Owners Grant.

When can I apply for my Home Owners Grant?

  • The earliest date for application is after the mailing of the annual tax notices (usually mid-June) and the latest is December 31st. A retro-active Home Owners Grant application for the previous year's grant can be approved in certain circumstances.

My mortgage company is paying my taxes. Do I still need to come to City Hall?

Can I mail in my tax notice with payment / Home Owners Grant?

  • Yes. In mailing our tax notice, you must ensure that the Home Owners Grant is properly completed, if applicable, and that your cheque is made out correctly.
  • Please remember when mailing your tax notice that the post mark is NOT accepted as proof of payment date. It is the date that we receive the funds.
  • Your tax notice must be in the Tax Department's hands by 4:30pm of the tax due date.

Can I leave a post-dated cheque?

  • Yes. The last day you may postdate your cheque is the tax due date.

top of page

Tax Deferment

Property Tax Deferment is a property tax assistance program offered by the Province and a low-interest loan program that assists qualifying homeowners in British Columbia in paying the annual property taxes on their homes.

The program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents who have lived in British Columbia for at least one year prior to applying for the program. You must occupy the home as your principal residence. Second residences, such as summer cottages or rental properties, do not qualify for tax deferment.

Eligibility Criteria

There are two options when applying for the tax deferment program. To learn more about each option's eligibility criteria please review:

How to Apply

After deducting your Home Owners Grant, you can defer all or part of the unpaid balance of your residential property taxes for the current year. All penalties, interest, previous years' property taxes and utility user fees (shown as Parcel Taxes on your Tax Notice) must be paid to the municipal tax collector as these cannot be deferred.


                                    Complete the Application and Agreement for Deferment of Property Taxes

  • Return the completed application and agreement by mail or in person to City Hall for processing before the property tax due date.
  • The City of Penticton will complete the Collector portion and forward the application/agreement to the Tax Deferment Office in Victoria
    • Attention: Due to the large volume of applications, you may not be notified about your application status for several months.
Late Payment Penalty

You must pay late payment penalty charges if, after the property tax due date, you:

    • are found ineligible for the program
    • cancel or withdraw your application for any reason before deferment program pays the taxes on your behalf
    • apply for deferment after the property tax due date
    • sell your home before the taxes have been paid on your behalf
Adding a Spouse to Property Tax Deferment

If you are a home owner with an existing property tax deferment agreement and wish to add your spouse on title, you must complete the Application and Amending Agreement to continue deferring your property taxes. This application must be mailed to the Ministry of Finance directly at PO Box 9446, Stn Prov Govt, Victoria, BC V7W 9V6.  When you receive your Property Tax notice complete the home owner grant section and sign the Deferment Renewal Application Form you would have received from the Tax Deferment Office.  The deferment renewal forms are included with you annual deferment statment mailed to you in May of each year from the Province.   Return both forms to the City of Penticton before the tax due date.

top of page

Pre-Authorized Pre-Payment Program

The City of Penticton offers a Pre-Payment Plan that allows you to make installments towards your next years' Property Taxes. Here's some information on this program:

  • Property Taxes must be current to enroll.
  • You must apply for the Home Owners Grant annually (if eligible). If you have a credit balance, you MUST still apply for the Home Owners Grant by the due date.
  • Ten equal pre-authorized debits will occur between August 10th and May 10th - there are no pre-authorized debits withdrawals in June or July, unless there is a balance owing on the due date.
  • The final payment of taxes due will be withdrawn from your bank account on the due date IF a payment has not been already made. This includes the amount of the Home Owners Grant if it has not yet been claimed.
  • The City of Penticton pays the property owner simple interest on tax monies collected throughout the year. Interest is based on the City's principal bankers prime interest rate less 3%.
  • The City will indicate your new monthly withdrawal amount on your annual Property Tax Notice.
  • If a credit balance exists on an account on the tax due date, the credit will automatically be applied to reduce next year's pre-authorized debit amount.
  • You may cancel your pre-authorized payment plan [PDF - 127 KB] at any time subject to providing five days notice.
  • If the property is sold, it is the taxpayer's responsibility to contact the City of Penticton to discontinue the plan. All credits must be adjusted between vendor and purchaser. No refunds are available on the Pre-Authorized Pre-Payment Plan.
  • IMPORTANT: If a withdrawal is not honored by your financial institution, for any reason, your tax account will be charged a return item fee of $30.00.
  • There is no fee to join.

Pre-Authorized Payment Plan Application [PDF - 194 KB]

Pre-Authorized Payment Plan Change / Cancellation Form [PDF - 127 KB]

top of page

Tax Rates, Bylaws and Permissive Exemptions

Municipal Tax Rates

Permissive Tax Exemptions

Permissive Tax Exemptions currently in effect are contained in the bylaws below.

top of page

Tax Sale

The following notes are intended to provide a general outline of the tax sale process. For more information about the annual sale of properties, prospective purchasers should consult the Local Government Act.

    • The City is required by the Local Government Act to sell at Tax Sale, all properties whose taxes have not been paid for 3 years.
    • The Local Government Act gives the Collector authority to sell a property for the Upset Price which equals all outstanding taxes + penalties + interest + 5% tax sale costs + Land Title Office fees.
    • All property sales are "as is" without warrant or guarantee by the City of Penticton.
  • The Local Government Act requires municipalities advertise in a local paper not less than 3, or more than 10 days prior to the Tax Sale.
  • The legal description and street address must be published
  • To avoid your property being listed in this ad in the paper, your delinquent taxes must be paid approximately 2 weeks prior to the Tax Sale date.
Tax Sale
  • A public auction will be held at 10am, on the last Monday in September each year in Council Chambers, City Hall.
  • Bidding is accepted on all properties
  • Prospective bidders are advised that it is their responsibility to search the title of the property in advance to determine if there are any charges registered against the property.
  • The minimum bid is the amount of the upset price.
  • If no bidding takes place within 3 calls by the Collector (auctioneer), the City is declared the purchaser at the upset price.
Purchasing Property
  • The successful bidder is required to have their SIN or BN, your corporate seal if required.
  • Payment is to be in the form of cash or certified cheque for the purchased price at the close of the Tax Sale.
  • If full payment is not received by 12:00pm on the day of the Tax Sale, the Collector again offers the property for sale.
Notifying Charge Holders
  • The Collector is required by law to search all property titles and within 90 days after Tax Sale notify all registered charge holders shown on each property.
  • The original owner has one year after the property is sold at Tax Sale to pay the taxes and buy back their property. This is called redemption.
  • All registered charge holders have full right to redeem the property.
  • To redeem the property, the charge holder must remit the full upset price, plus interest on the purchase price at a rate set by the Province, within one year of the Tax Sale.
  • If the property has been sold at Tax Sale, and the City has been declared the purchaser, 50% of the upset price, plus interest may be paid as an instalment thus extending the redemption period by 11 months and 21 days. This applied only to properties having improvements.
  • As soon as the property is redeemed, the Collector will refund to the Tax Sale purchaser the purchase price, plus interest to the date of redemption.
Rights During Redemption Period
  • The Local Government Act provides that when real property is sold at Tax Sale, all rights held by the person who at the time of the of the sale was the owner, immediately cease to exist, except for the right of redemption, the right to bring an action to set aside the Tax Sale, and the right to possession.
  • The registered owner's right of possession is subject to the purchasers right to bring action against the original property owner for waste (i.e. damage or destruction to the premises) and the right of the purchaser to enter onto the property to maintain it in the proper condition and to prevent waste.
  • Damage, destruction or loss of property during the redemption period is at the risk of the purchaser. The purchaser is advised to insure his interest in the property.
Property Not Redeemed
  • If the property is not redeemed during the on year period, the Collector registers the new owner at the Land Titles Office in Victoria, thus cancelling all previous registered charges, except for those matters set out in Section 276(1)(c) to (g) of the Land Title Act and any lien of the Crown, an improvement district or a local district.
  • The new owners are required to pay the property tax sales tax to the Provincial Sales Tax Administrator after application has been made to register the Land Titles Office.

top of page

Tax Sale Properties

The 2017 Tax Sale will be conducted in the Council Chambers of the City of Penticton, 171 Main Street a 10:00am on Monday, September 25th, 2017.

The Tax Sale is conducted as a live auction with the highest bidder being deemed as "purchaser at tax sale". Purchasers at Tax Sale will be required to provide their full name, address, occupation and SIN number. The bids start at the upset price, which consists of all taxes owing, together with penalties and interest thereon. The Tax Sale is adjourned until 2:00pm allowing time for the "purchaser a Tax Sale" to make their payment in certified form. The owner or any person who has a registered charge may, within one year from the Tax Sale date, redeem the property by paying to the Collector the upset price with the applicable interest. Upon redemption, the purchaser at the Tax Sale is refunded the purchase price plus interest (currently 5.7%).

For further information, please contact the Tax Department at 250-490-2485 or email at






top of page