South Okanagan – Police in Penticton are reminding motorists, students and parents to be aware of back to school traffic and pedestrians, school buses and traffic laws.
School is scheduled to begin again after many months not in session, and the Penticton South Okanagan Similkameen Regional RCMP Detachment is wanting to remind students and motorists to be aware of school zone traffic laws in effect once again.
Some safety tips for students:
- Walk on sidewalks and use marked cross-walks whenever possible;
- Walk your bike across intersections and crosswalks and use bike lanes when available;
- Before crossing, always look both ways;
- Wear brighter coloured clothing.
Safety tips for motorists:
- Slow down and obey speed limits in school zones;
- Yield to pedestrians at crosswalks;
- Watch for bikes, crossing guards and school buses;
- be on the lookout for children walking and running.
“Return to school and traffic safety are top priorities for the RCMP. We can all take preventative measures to make sure children are safe when walking to and from school. As part of this initiative, Police will be actively visible in school zone areas enforcing speed and traffic laws," explains Cst. James Grandy.