Are you a parent or caregiver seeking daycare/child care options? Or are you interested in opening a child care facility? The City of Penticton has compiled this resource page as part of our commitment to improve access to quality and affordable child care throughout our community.
We are actively working with community partners to create new child care spaces and provide support today – and for the children of tomorrow. We know it is vitally important to find quality care so that your children are safe, healthy and thriving. Use this webpage as a central resource to connect you with the information you need to get started.
How to Find Child Care
Steps to Open a Child Care Centre
New Child Care Centre Coming Soon
The City is making progress on its goal of creating new child care spaces in Penticton. Plans are moving forward on the Edmonton Avenue Child Care facility, which will provide child care to 116 children.
A Plan to Increase Access to Child Care
The City is working with partners to identify opportunities to increase the number of child care spaces available throughout the community, while also increasing the affordability and quality of child care overall. The Penticton Child Care Action Plan, endorsed by City Council in 2021, identifies the following four priorities to meet our community’s child care needs.
- Increase Access to Child Care
- Make Child Care More Affordable
- Focus on Quality
- Strengthen Collaborations and Partnerships
Some of the 30 actions to be undertaken include:
- Coordinating information sessions with Interior Health, the Penticton Fire Department and City departments to host workshops to help interested parties open a child care centre.
- Advocating to other orders of government the need to reduce the cost of child care.
- Working with the school district and Okanagan College to explore training programs for prospective early childhood educators.
Phone: 250-490-2512, Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m.