(The following information remains in effect, updated at 10:00 a.m, August 23, 2020) - The City of Penticton has issued an Evacuation Alert for 3,669 properties located in the south east portion of the City. The alert area includes properties within the following street boundaries.
• Lakeside Rd.
• South Main
• Main Street
• Industrial/Okanagan Avenue
• Alison St.
• Penticton Creek
• Syer Rd.
For a detailed listing of all impacted property addresses, see the attachment document included with this news release.
This Evacuation Alert has been issued to prepare residents, businesses and visitors to evacuate their premises or property in the event an Evacuation Order is issued.
The City of Penticton is working with the RDOS EOC and BC Wildfire to assess the situation. Property owners will be given as much advance notice as possible prior to an Evacuation Order, however residents may receive limited notice due to changing conditions. Residents and property owners are strongly advised to take proactive measures to prepare for an Evacuation Order.
In the event an evacuation order is given residents must:
- Leave the area immediately.
- Follow the directions of emergency responders and travel the designated or safest route available.
- Self-register as an evacuee by visiting https://ess.gov.bc.ca/ If you do not have access to the Internet, go to 199 Ellis Street, Penticton, BC.
- COVID-19 protocols are in place. If you have symptoms or are self-isolating, please do not attend the reception centre. Call 8-1-1 for direction.
- Shut off all gas and electrical appliances, other than refrigerators and freezers.
- Close all windows and doors
- Please store your Fire Arms in accordance with Section 118 of the Fire Arms Act.
- Close gates (latch) but do not lock.
- Gather your family and if you have room, take a neighbor or someone needing transportation. Do not use more vehicles then you have to.
- Take critical items only if they are immediately available:
- Government issued ID
- Valuable papers (e.g. insurance, credit, and mortgage information)
- Immediate care needs for dependents
- Take pets in pet kennels or on a leash.
- Pet owners and hobby farmers with concerns for their animals:
- Animal Emergency Response Team (ALERT) can help, call (250) 809 – 7152
- Farmers who require assistance call the RDOS EOC.
- Do not use the telephone unless you need emergency service.