The start of construction for the Lake to Lake bike lane is set to get underway today with initial preparation work at Lakeshore Drive and Martin Street.
Residents and drivers in the area should expect to see crews at work, with more activity ramping up Monday, May 17.
During the entire construction period, those living, working or driving along any length of Martin Street and Fairview Road between Lakeshore Drive and Duncan Avenue should expect to see minor earthworks, line marking removal, preparation for and installation of new curbing, traffic signal and lighting upgrades and periodic single lane traffic at crossings.
During all portions of the construction, notable impacts from road works will be centred on the following four intersection locations:
- Martin St. / Lakeshore Dr. – starting May 17 completed by June 11.
- Martin St. / Westminster Ave. – starting May 25 completed June 11.
- Martin St. / Nanaimo Ave. – starting May 31 completed June 18.
- Martin St. / Wade Ave. – starting June 7 completed June 18.
- Martin Street / Eckhardt Ave. – starting July 5 completed by July 16.
In addition, starting in early June, fresh line markings and Dezignline barriers will be installed.
“City staff, along with our hired contractor, Grizzly Excavating Superintendent Pat Neil, are looking forward to getting this project underway, said the City’s Engineer, Ian Chapman. “We thank all residents, businesses and motorists for their cooperation and patience as this work is carried out.”
For more information and updates about the project and its construction, please visit the City’s website.