Transportation safety isn’t just about keeping drivers safe. It’s essential for everyone who uses the roads, including motorcyclists, cyclists, pedestrians and transit users. We're continually investing in infrastructures such as sidewalks, bike lanes, crosswalks, intersection improvements and traffic calming initiatives to make transportation safer.
How to Report a Safety Concern
If you would like to report a non-emergency issue, concern or suggestion, the easiest way to reach the right person at City Hall is to fill out our Report an Issue online form. Your submission will be directed to the appropriate contact.
How to Request Traffic Calming
Here’s how to submit your request involving a traffic calming issue to the Engineering department.
- Fill out and submit a Request Form. Don’t forget to also include your Petition Form including at least 10 signatures (this form is not required if the location involves elementary school or playground zones).
- Send your form(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax (250-490-2557) or drop off to the City Yards at 616 Okanagan Ave East.
Our Assessment Process
- We identify the problem and collect data relating to the concern. For traffic calming requests, the area must meet the traffic calming criteria as set by the Transportation Safety Policy. At the end of the review, we will contact you with the result.
- We develop a Transportation Safety Plan or Traffic Calming Plan.
- For Traffic Calming Plans, we will hold a public consultation and conduct a survey of affected residents as well as residents that live in the affected area. At least 40% of the residents in the affected area need to complete the survey and at least 60% of the survey respondents need to be in support of the proposed Traffic Calming Plan. Traffic Calming requests for roads in elementary school zones or playground zones are exempt from this criterion. Transportation Safety Plans will not go through the public review process unless the plan significantly affects nearby residents.
- We arrange design and funding. Depending on budget available, we will develop construction plans of the highest priority Transportation Safety and Traffic Calming projects for the current year. The remainder of the projects will be kept on a continuously updated priority list for future consideration.
- We install the safety or traffic calming measures.
To report a concern or suggestion, please fill out our Report an Issue online form.
For urgent questions involving traffic and transportation safety, contact:
For urgent questions involving road maintenance concerns, contact: