Based on supportive public feedback collected via the community opinion question during the recent June 19, 2021 by-election, Penticton City Council has reaffirmed its commitment to abide by the results and has directed staff to develop a Request for Proposals (RFP) for the development of a long-term Operating Management Agreement of up to 25 years for the Skaha Marina Lands.
The terms upon which the City will be seeking proposals under the RFP process will include the following parameters, which were communicated to the public in advance of the community opinion question process.
- Period of terms up to 25 years
- Maintain existing property and water boundaries
- Maintain similar dock configuration
- Operate using similar sized building footprint
- Performance reviews every three to five years
- Provide the following Marina services:
- Short-term and long-term moorage, both on water and vertical dry dock storage
- Marina repairs and accessory retail store
- Gas dock with fuel sales
- Watercraft and equipment rentals
- Operation of a café or licensed restaurant
To ensure that the process of selecting a long-term operator at Skaha Marina is open and transparent, the City has committed to providing the draft RFP and draft Management Operating Agreement to the Parks and Recreation Advisory Committee and Council for review, prior to issuing the RFP. Likewise, the City will keep the community informed by providing access to the draft documents on the shapeyourcitypenticton.ca website and engagement kiosk at City Hall.
“The City is acutely aware of the interest surrounding this park and has therefore prepared a multi-step process that aims to keep the public fully informed of the steps being taken to secure a successful long-term operating management agreement for the marina lands at Skaha Park,” said Penticton Mayor, John Vassilaki. “I encourage everyone with an interest in the park to follow the process and share their feedback.”
The City anticipates issuing the RFP this fall. Those wishing to respond can so do by visiting the City’s bids opportunities webpage.