Transportation Safety

Transportation Safety affects all road users including motorists, cyclists, pedestrians, and transit users. The City is continually investing in infrastructure (sidewalks, bike lanes, crosswalks, intersection improvements, and traffic calming works) to make transportation safer within the City.

Issues related to Transportation Safety for motorists, pedestrians, cyclists and transit users can include but are not limited to, intersection improvements, traffic signals, signage, lane markings, pedestrian crossings, sidewalks, speeding, parking, shortcutting and sightlines. Traffic Calming issues are typically related to speeding, high traffic volumes, and shortcutting on local residential roads.

If you have a traffic concern or would like to request traffic calming for your neighbourhood, please familiarize yourself with our Transportation Safety Policy.  If you would like to request traffic calming for your neighbourhood, don’t forget to include your completed Petition Form. Requests for traffic calming in an Elementary School Zone or Playground Zone do not require a petition form.

Make a Traffic Calming Request or Submit a Traffic Concern

Step 1: Fill out our online form at the bottom of this page. You can submit your Petition Form  by email: or drop off to the City Yards at 616 Okanagan Ave East, Penticton.

Step 2: We identify the problem and collect data relating to the concern. For traffic calming requests, the area must meet the traffic calming criteria as set by the Transportation Safety Policy. At the end of the review, we will contact you with the result.

Step 3: We develop a Transportation Safety Plan or Traffic Calming Plan.

Step 4: For Traffic Calming Plans, we will hold a public consultation and conduct a survey of affected residents as well as residents that live in the affected area. At least 40% of the residents in the affected area need to complete the survey and at least 60% of the survey respondents need to be in support of the proposed Traffic Calming Plan. Traffic Calming requests for roads in Elementary School Zones or Playground Zones are exempt from this criterion. Transportation Safety Plans will not go through the public review process unless the plan significantly affects nearby residents.

Step 5: We arrange design and funding. Depending on the budget available, we will develop construction plans of the highest priority Transportation Safety and Traffic Calming projects for the current year. The remainder of the projects will be kept on a continuously updated priority list for future consideration.

Step 6: We install Transportation Safety or Traffic Calming measures.

If you have any questions regarding transportation safety, please contact us at

Traffic Request Form

This form is used to report any traffic concerns. All traffic calming requests must be submitted with a completed Petition Form to be considered. City Staff will evaluate the complaint and determine whether or not to proceed with a Traffic Study. Please provide your contact information in order to have your request considered.

Primary Contact Information
Have you read our "Transportation Safety Policy"?
If not, please see Transportation Safety Policy OR request a paper copy
If you have not read our Transportation Safety Policy, you can read it here.
Specify the Location and Concerns
Types of problems. Check all that apply:
Does the problem occur during all seasons?
If no, in which season(s) is the problem occurring?
Does the problem occur during specific times of the day?
Does the problem occur during specific days of the week?
Thank you for taking the time to fill out this form.

Requests that require a petition form can be e-mailed to, faxed to 250 490 2557, dropped off in person at the City Yards or mailed to:
Engineering Department
616 Okanagan Ave East
Penticton, BC V2A 3K6