Dozens of people have moved to Penticton in recent weeks, with the greatest majority relocating from the Vancouver / Lower Mainland region. The numbers also reveal an influx in skilled and remote workers.
How the data was collected
As part of the Economic Development department’s Welcome Home initiative, residents were invited to complete a form to help the City better understand what attracted them to Penticton and which resources they may need to get settled. A total of 84 respondents filled out the digital form up to April 9, representing 198 residents who had arrived since Jan. 1, 2022.
Of the 198 new residents:
- 15 per cent are children under age 18
- 76 per cent are between the ages of 19-65
- 9 per cent are age 65 plus
- Twenty-seven per cent of the households have children in the home
Where they came from
- 23% Lower Mainland
- 14% South Okanagan / Okanagan
- 13% Ontario
- 12% Alberta
- 5% Northern B.C.
- 5% Kootenays
- 5% Kamloops region
- Other locations given: Vancouver Island (2), Saskatchewan (2), Manitoba (2), Quebec (2), Mexico (2), NWT (1), Cuba (1), The Netherlands (1), Columbia (1), India (1), Tunisie (1), U.S. (1), Squamish (1)
Why they moved to Penticton
- Moved here for a job (26%)
- Retired (21%)
- Moved here with a partner, who came for work (18%)
- Remote worker or work from home (16%)
- Plan to open or take over a business (6%)
- Currently unemployed (5%)
- Other reasons: Work in healthcare (4%), stay-at-home mom (1%), work shift work out-of-province (1%), already operate a local business (1%), student (1%)
The new residents stated they were living in the following types of housing:
- 47% House
- 30% Apartment / condo
- 13% Townhouse
- 3% Duplex
- 3% Basement / bachelor suite
- 2% Mobile / manufactured home
- 1% RV
- 1% Motel
For more information about the statistics and the Welcome Home initiative, read the latest news release.
What is Start Here Penticton?
Start Here Penticton is your starting point for finding out about what it's like to live, work and play in Penticton. Visit StartHerePenticton.com and follow our social media channels to stay in the know about remote working, moving and working in Penticton, and living the dream lifestyle.