Did you know that 46% of Penticton’s population is age 55 and older? This week, we’re paying some gratitude to our community’s older adults – who make our city the amazing place it is today.
And this Friday (Oct. 1, 2021), join us in celebrating International Day of Older Persons. Read the profiles of 12 people throughout the community who are shining examples of athletes, volunteers, coaches and community builders.
Here are a dozen ways we can show our support and get involved.
1. Volunteer for an organization that serves older adults.
2. Check in with a neighbour.
3. Correct comments involving stigma/discrimination that you may hear about older adults.
4. Invite older adults to community events and activities to prevent social isolation.
5. Help by clearing snow from their driveway.
6. Refer them to 211 if they are looking to access community services.
7. Prepare and/or invite them for a meal.
8. Participate in Seniors’ Week (first week of June each year).
9. Ask if you can pick up something for them from the supermarket.
10. Say thank you for all the positive things older adults do for our community.
11. Apply for a Neighbourhood Small Grant to plan an activity for older adults in your neighbourhood.
12. Get creative. What ideas do you, your family or neighbours have? Ask around to collect ideas. Also be inspired by our Age-Friendly Community page.