Liquor Licensing

While liquor licences are issued by the B.C. Government's Liquor & Cannabis Regulation Branch (LCRB), applications require a municipal review process.

The City of Penticton provides local government input regarding zoning, building and other city regulations as part of the LCRB review process. Some licence types may require a public consultation process and Council resolution before final LCRB approval.

Liquor Review Licence Application Form 

Food Primary or Occupant Load Application 

UPDATE - Extensions for Temporary Expanded Service Area Authorization

On October 6, 2020, Council agreed to support the Liquor & Cannabis Regulation Branch (LCRBPolicy Directive 20-26  extending the Temporary Expanded Service Area (TESA) authorizations for local businesses. The City has opted to review individual applications for these extensions prior to submission to the LCRB.  Please refer to the Licencing Bulletin below for information on the City’s requirements to expand these service areas.

 Temporary Expanded Liquor  Service Area Licencing Bulletin

Liquor Licences

In Penticton, the City is involved in following LCRB application types.

Special Event Licences

The City is also involved with some Special Event Licenses. These are issued by the LCRB and are available to event hosts who wish to provide any kind of temporary or infrequent liquor service at events such as family gatherings, private functions, community festivals and manufacturer tastings. For more information about Special Event Licences, visit the BC Liquor & Cannabis Regulation Branch website.

If you plan to host a public event at a City-owned facility, or you wish to serve alcohol prior to 9 a.m. or past 10 p.m., your Special Event Licence will be reviewed by the City as part of the rental agreement process. You will be required to fill out the Special Event Licence Application form.

If the event will take place in City-owned facilities or parks, it must be reviewed by City staff. Please direct your inquiries to the Recreation Department on 250-490-2437 or email

For any new or changes to existing applications involving changing location, service to whole site setup or extension of hours, please complete the Special Events Licence application. 

  • Events taking place on a city beaches or streets with liquor service will require support by Council.
  • Please go to the City’s Outdoor Events site for more information.
  • You can also download this helpful guide on Special Events.

Frequently Asked Questions

Have Questions?